Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My puppy (11 month old Rat Terrier) just ate an insert Off

Customer Question

My puppy (11 month old Rat Terrier) just ate an insert for the Off insect repellent protector that you wear that is similar to Termacelles, and is drooling like crazy now. Do I need to take him in?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
This product contains metofluthrin - a pyrethroid considered just mildly toxic in dogs but will cause symptoms as you've described. I would induce emesis with 3% hydrogen peroxide dosed at 5 mL (one measuring teaspoon) per 5 lbs of body weight given by a small poultry baster placed between Charlie's cheek teeth and cheek. If he didn't vomit within 15 minutes, the same dose should be administered. The above is predicated upon his ingesting the insert within the last hour. Here's a study on dogs and metofluthrin:"Chronic Exposure or Carcinogenicity/ Four beagle dogs/sex/group were dosed orally in capsules with 0, 10, 30 or 100 mg/kg/day of S-1264 (/metofluthrin/ lot no. PK-020301 G, purity: 96.6%) for 12 months. No deaths resulted from the treatment. The males in the 30 and 100 mg/kg groups and the females in the 100 mg/kg group exhibited tremors through out the study. There was an increased incidence of emesis for the 30 mg/kg males and for both sexes in the 100 mg/kg group as well. There was no treatment-related effect upon the mean body weights or the food consumption. Urinalysis, hematology, clinical chemistry and ophthalmology evaluations did not reveal any treatment-related effects. No treatment-related lesions were noted in the necropsy and histopathology examinations. Possible adverse effect: tremors. Chronic Oral Toxicity NOEL: (M) 10 mg/kg/day (based upon the incidence of tremors for the males in the 30 mg/kg group), (F) 30 mg/kg/day (based upon the incidence of tremors for the females in the 100 mg/kg group)."Treatment, if necessary, is supportive and symptomatic only. There is no specific antidote to pyrethroid intoxication.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie. How is everything going?