Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 9 month old staffy.. Yesterday he got into a

Customer Question

Hi! I have a 9 month old staffy.. Yesterday he got into a chocolate cake and ate half of it and this morning he was acting completely fine and normal but he had diarrhea and just about an hour ago he started actig very strange... Going to Places in the house he doesn't normally go to and acting very spooked or sad.. Do you think this has something to do with the cake? He also chews/eats anything he sees like little toys or pencils
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: His name is Frank
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Frank?
Customer: Just that he eats everything and is usually very hyper and playful
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. In regards ***** ***** question, I would be highly suspicious that the chocolate in the cake is causing all of Frank’s signs. Diarrhea is a very common sign, but underlying nausea and even neurological signs (tremors, seizures) could cause him to feel so poorly that he is feeling the need to hide himself away. And I would note that those other signs can arise within 1-2 days after they have eaten chocolate. With this all in mind, as long, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, since he does have diarrhea, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). These will be easy for his gut to digest. As well, whichever you choose, you can add some fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran, etc) to the food to help bulk up his stool and reduce his diarrhea sooner. Furthermore, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI. As well, since nausea could certainly lead him to being so down, we can also consider starting an OTC pet safe antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), etc).Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Overall, all Frank’s signs are consistent with chocolate intoxication. Since the signs are mild at this point, we can plan to use the above to slow his diarrhea and counter any nausea. If he settles over the next few days, we’d be happy. Though any signs of vomiting, those more worrisome signs, dehydration or lingering signs; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, start injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, and symptomatic care to get him back feeling like himself. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet