Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

He is throwing up foam with small blood clots in it and he

Customer Question

He is throwing up foam with small blood clots in it and he keeps licking
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not home from work and he had chewed a bit of the area rug but I think that was more of an anxiety thing from the licking
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zeus..5 years
JA: How old is Zeus..5?
Customer: Yes
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zeus..5?
Customer: No...he is fairly healthy. On Rimadyl for a shoulder problem
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.How long has he had these signs?Can he keep water down?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly,does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?Any diarrhea or black stool?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hi again, I have not heard back from you and I must say that I am concerned about Zeus.If we are seeing blood clots in his vomit, this raises worries of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis but also a possible stomach ulcer (a risk of his Rimadyl), stomach tumor, or damage if he has eaten something sharp or toxic. With this all in mind, we need to tread with care. Ideally we’d want to have him seen at this point so that his vet can pinpoint which issue is afoot and start treatment (since anything non-edible needs to be removed and toxins may require IV fluids to flush out). They can also switch him onto a gut safe pain relief since we’d not want him to have any more Rimadyl with these signs and also gastroprotectants to protect his stomach. Otherwise, if there is any delay in having him seen, we’d want to start an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. This should be used every 12 hours and will just help protect any open stomach lesions from his stomach acid. Though if he is too nauseous to keep this down, we’d even more need to have him seen at this point. Afterwards, we want to offer frequent meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in, result in less GI upset, and given his stomach acid something safe to “chew” on. Overall, I’m quite concerned about Zeus’s signs. They raise some serious concerns and we do need to be careful here. Therefore, in his case, we’d want to stop the Rimadyl and start supportive care with a view to having him seen as possible (even sooner if he has belly pain or pale gums at any point). Once he is seen, his vet can determine which issue is present and start the aforementioned treatment to halt the vomiting and get this settled for him. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?