Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

He is restless, hiding under things, whining a little. Just

Customer Question

He is restless, hiding under things, whining a little. Just generally acting way out of character. Panting off and on
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Max. He is a year and a half old
JA: How old is Max?
Customer: 1 1/2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: Healthy at last check up. Won't sit or lay down for long.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your young boy Max. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. There are quite a few things that could be going on here with Max this evening, and we certainly need to consider everything from a simple behavioral/anxiety related issue, all the way through to a gastrointestinal upset or even an internal organ issue. Given his age, it is more likely that this is a GI upset, or potentially even a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything your boy could have gotten into). For now, you are best to keep a close eye on him for the next hour or two if you can. Encourage him to drink plenty of water, and continue to offer him his regular dinner. In case he does have some nausea or gastrointestinal discomfort, you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: To monitor him for the next couple of hours, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet. Best of luck with Max and hopefully he improves in the next hour or so. As above, if any of the parameters aren't normal, then please play it safe and get him seen now. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.