PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I inherited a lovely sled dog 6 months ago. She doesn't wag

Customer Question

I inherited a lovely sled dog 6 months ago. She doesn't wag her tail. Suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) Do you know if Bowie sustained any injury to her tail? 2) Is she able to move it? Does she carry it erect? limp?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I know nothing about her past. It's limp. I have picked it up and it doesn't seem to cause her any pain. It's like she isn't even attached to it. I've been a volunteer dog walker at the SPCA for 5 years, I've never seen this. I've walked hundreds of dogs. She is still dealing with her social skills (she is very skittish), but I have a pit bull (Sheba) who is very social and a neighbourhood of wonderful dog friendly people who are working with me. She is out for walks 3 times a day. I just don't understand the tail thing. Help?
Probably the most effective thing here will be to have an examination performed and see if there has been any trauma to her tail. X-rays may need to be taken to determine from within if anything is broken. There is a condition seen in other breeds called Limber tail which has an acute onset and eventual resolution, sometimes without rhyme or reason. It may be worth looking in to this and similar conditions to see if her symptoms mimic any of them. In such a case, empirical treatment with canine-safe NSAIDs may be tried to see if there is any resolution of symptoms. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bowie. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy