Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dogo argentino has had some type of skin infection on the

Customer Question

hi, my dogo argentino has had some type of skin infection on the side of her face for several weeks now. At first it looked like she was just scratched on her face, went to the vet for shots and the vet gave her antibiotics for it. Gave her 1 a day for just over a week and it didn't get better at all, we went back in to vet for boosters 3 weeks later and asked about it because it wasn't healing and they didn't do anything. Now it's evolved to tiny black scabs, when I clear what hair is remaining some of scabs come off and they aren't hardened, you can tell it's her skin. I washed the area with pyoben hoping to get whatever dirt or bacteria in and around the area cleaned really well. It took most of the scabs off, but they've all reappeared again and now she's got a small spot on the other side of her face (same place opposite) that's doing the exact same thing now. Honestly, my first reaction was that her skin was rotting or something.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: what? she does not have fleas
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: is this an auto bot?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm not sure why the autobot came back with that response, she doesn't have fleas and it's definitely not flea dirt that I'm referring to. In between the first and second vet visit her hair in that spot became discolored like it does when she gets any type of rash or skin irritation. If you aren't familiar, dogo's are all white so the discoloration was noticeable right away. After she was on the antibiotics (Cefpodoxime 200mg tabs) for a few days I checked the skin which is when I noticed the black on her skin. She has sensitive skin and would get inflamed patches of skin on various areas of her head, never anywhere else. The areas would remain inflamed for weeks on end until the vet prescribed ointment (Mupirocin 0.2% USP) which has always cleared it up. We're moving to Arizona in about a week otherwise I would find a new vet for her here.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) Do you have a clear picture to share of the area? 2) Is she on any medication now for the spot?