Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

7 year old Dachsund mix. Won't jump on or off couch. Yips as

Customer Question

7 year old Dachsund mix. Won't jump on or off couch. Yips as if injured with no apparent cause.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! I am so very sorry to hear about your little one. My primary concern is an injury to the back back, not necessarily doing something like jumping off the furniture and crying out, they can be walking around the house and have a disc herniation because of their anatomy. Hesitating to jump, crying out for no apparent reason but often related to moving or changing positions, lethargy are common complaints with this condition most commonly seen in Dachshunds Here is more information on this condition: Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the back in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow. You can also do light circular massage up and down the back to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it. To pick your dog up please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the back. I have actually trained my little dogs to put their front legs on my forearm to minimize pressure on their backs and the associated discomfort. Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly. I am online another 30 minutes to assist you both If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Winnie. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman