Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.

My dog ate pokeweed- took him to the vet when he threw it

Customer Question

My dog ate pokeweed- took him to the vet when he threw it up- not sure how much he injected. All vitals ok. But body temp. It was 95 degrees. They warned him up. He's lethargic and he was dehydrated. They gave fluids coavamoxcand left a catheter in. I had to put 1 cc heparin mixture in the catheter Tomorrow I bring him back for recheck at 7 AM. Shouldn't they have done more to prevent absorption?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ingested
JA: How old is Ingested?
Customer: Louie. He is nine. A dachshund.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ingested?
Customer: He ate pokeweed. Not sure how much. Kidneys were ok at 3 pm.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.So, the roots of pokeweed are very toxic, but the plant itself is less severely so. It usually causes severe diarrhea and vomiting which can lead to dehydration. Since he had already vomited it was not necessary to induce vomiting and this is something that is not bound by charcoal so there wasn't much more that could be done to prevent absorption. The mainstay of treatment is fluids... lots of fluids! It sounds like they did that. My concern would be that if he has more vomiting and diarrhea overnight he could become severely dehydrated overnight. This is a case where I would prefer to leave them on IV fluids. I'm assuming your vet couldn't do that because they do not have a 24 hour facility. I think the treatment that they provided was appropriate, but monitor him closely tonight. Offer small amounts of dilute chicken broth. If he can't hold down the broth or if he seems very lethargic and dehydrated then try to find a 24 hour clinic that can continue fluids overnight.I hope that helps, but if I can be of additional help, please let me know. If you have no further questions, please rate my answer.