Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog ate a chicken bone. she feels Ok now, I know is not

Customer Question

my dog ate a chicken bone. she feels Ok now, I know is not OK. Should I worry ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How much does she weigh? 2- How long since she ate the bone?
As you may already know ingestion of a chicken bone can cause an obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. But, more often than not dogs are able to digest the bone without any problem. Inducing vomiting is not indicated as the bone can damage the esophagus on the way out. This is what you can do:1- Do not give things like pepto bismol.2- Do not induce vomiting.3- Change her diet for the next 3-5 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the bone out in the feces if undigested while protecting the intestinal tract. 4- If during the next 3-5 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe her and change her diet as above then wean her back into her regular diet. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter