Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

I think one of my ***** *****s was exposed to the pesticide

Customer Question

I think one of my ***** *****s was exposed to the pesticide Crossbow, his only symptom is that he wants to chew his hind foot raw..not any of the others. I have had to put a cone on him to keep him from causing any further damage. I have been doing my best to keep it clean and put wound cream on it Thanks Shannon
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is Russells bleeding a lot?
Customer: no..but it is very red and irritated
JA: How old is Russells?
Customer: Richard is 13 yrs old and does have a flea allergy which I keep on top of
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Russells?
Customer: not at this point, just want to know how to care for the foot
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!So sorry to hear your dog has this area of agitation! I can definitely give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but if there is any discharge or it is not healing then please have your vet evaluate the lesion to ensure additional medication is not warranted. 1.) No licking! As you mentioned since this area is reachable then please leave a cone on to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection 2.) Trim the hair around the foot if there is a wound or discharge to minimize moisture buildup 3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry. Taper frequency as improves. The 10 minutes will help remove the debris and pesticide to allow healing 4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning 5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess 6.) Limit activity. The more activity the more likely this wound will take longer to heal because the skin cannot heal in an active setting, particularly on the side. 7.) Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 6-8 hours as needed for itch and chewing. This may cause mild sedation initially Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I hope your JRT is feeling better and would love an update when you are able.Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!