Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I'm pretty sure my dog has fleas.... scratches a lot,

Customer Question

I'm pretty sure my dog has fleas.... scratches a lot, loves to be scratched non stop just in front of his tail. No actual fleas seen and no skin soars.
110 lb. yellow lab.
I gave him one of the medicines I got at Costco for dogs his size that you give once a month and he might be a smidge better but not dramatic.
Stay with it?
Something stronger?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about your guy's itchiness. If you are scratching right at the top of the tail head area and he starts to kick and itch, then the suspicion for fleas has to be high. If you part the fur and look closely at the base of the fur there on the skin, if you see little "dirt" like particles, these most likely are flea feces (flea dirt). You can confirm this by placing some on a moist white towel and then smashing it into it / dragging it. If it leaves a rust like streak, then it is flea dirt. I'll be honest and say that there are a ton of products on the market for fleas. My recommendation is to get it through your vet's office as they have the most effective products that are the safest. If the previous one seemed to help, then the ones your vet can give you should definitely help.
Hi Ted Crofford,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?