Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I began switching my puppy to adult two weeks ago. Starting

Customer Question

Hello I began switching my puppy to adult for about two weeks ago. Starting last week she began vomitting and experiencing diarrhea. I switched her back to her puppy formula and stopped trying to transition. She has stopped vomitting but has loose stool mixed in with some firm. She is lethargic and doesn't seem to have much appetite. I took her to the vet and they suggested a diet of boiled chicken and white rice. After trying that coupled with the anti nausea medicine and anti diarrhea medicine she got from the vet she went a whole 24 hours with no bowel movement. Not sure what is wrong.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about ZuZu as she has been vomiting and had diarrhea when you attempted to switch her diet from a puppy formula to an adult.

I suspect that the adult formula has an ingredients (ingredients?) that for whatever reason her body is sensitive to. You might want to compare the two formulas and see what the adult food has that the puppy food does not and avoid any of those ingredients in whatever food you choose.

I understand that it is worrisome not to see any stools from her, but it makes perfect sense. After vomiting, and then having diarrhea her gastrointestinal tract probably had little in it. Then she was fed a highly digestible and absorbable food. That too led to very little waste being produced. With medication to slow the gut spasms and little waste being produced I am not surprised or concerned if she doesn't have a stool for a day or two.

Moving forward I would pick an adult food with very similar ingredients to her puppy food and avoid any food that has the different ingredients in the adult formula that didn't agree with her. Since she is doing well on boiled chicken and rice you might also consider feeding a low residue, low irritant easy to digest food. Both Science Diet and Royal Canin make sensitive stomach formulas that you can buy at the pet store. If those aren't restrictive enough and her symptoms return with those diets then you can try prescription sensitive stomach foods, either Hills i/d or Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets EN.

Best of luck with your pup, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****