Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I think she ate my 36 mg concerta JA: I'm sorry to hear

Customer Question

I think she ate my 36 mg concerta
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is***** probably about 5 or 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sweetie?
Customer: pretty anxious usually
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. Even small doses of this type of medication can be very toxic to dogs. It can lead to life threatening tremors, seizures, increased body temperature and heart problems. If she just ingested this, you can try to induce vomiting by giving 1 teaspoon per 5 lbs of body weight (or 1 tablespoon per 15 lbs) of 3% hydrogen peroxide orally. That dose can be repeated in 10 minutes if necessary. If she vomits up the entire pill, it should be okay to monitor her for any increased agitation, panting or tremors. If you see any of that, she needs to be seen by a vet immediately. If the ingestion was more than an hour ago or you cannot get her to vomit or find the whole pill in the vomit; I would just get her to your vet immediately for decontamination, activated charcoal, fluid therapy and monitoring/supportive care. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.