Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 6 y/o hybrid wolf, female, whose eye is very

Customer Question

I have a 6 y/o hybrid wolf, female, whose eye is very swollen. We had noticed for a month or so that it was getting cloudy and thought she had a cataract. Now it is starting to get real swollen.Do you have any idea what could be wrong and is this something I can treat or do we need to try to get her to a vet or find one to come here?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. Based on your description, I am quite concerned for Stormy. This is because a swollen eyeball like this is likely glaucoma. Furthermore, I would note that if the eyeball is very large, it will not be fully covered by the eyelids when she blinks or closes her eye. This would then cause that clouding (corneal edema) but could also lead to an ulcer in the eye that could rupture if left. Therefore, while you can start applying plain artificial tears as often as possible to keep the eyeball lubricated and reduce its clouding/inflammation; we'd really need her seen urgently. This is because glaucoma (which can be due to infection, tumors in the eye, or abnormal drainage of the fluids within the eye) is a canine emergency. If the vet can address it quickly, it is possible to treat this with special drops and pain relief. Though otherwise if this has severely progressed or there is a deep ulcer on the eyeball; then we'd need the eye removed to spare her the discomfort of this eye and the risk of its rupture. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )