Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog is a12year old mini schnauzer. She had all of her

Customer Question

My dog is a12year old mini schnauzer. She had all of her teeth removed almost 2 years ago. Another dog in the house bit her Fri. night. Today(Sunday) I noticed her face is swollen.There is no puncture wound. I gave her a benedryl. What else can I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is A12year bleeding a lot?
Customer: No blood.I checked her right after she was bitten. No puncture wounds & I didn't notice any swelling on Sat. However ,it is obvious today.
JA: Phew. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about A12year?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help. While Benadryl is useful with insect bites, it would be of much benefit for a dog bite. Now its good that there has not been a break in the skin, since that reduces the risk of abscesses forming. Instead, what we likely have here would be bruising (blood under the skin) or soft tissue inflammation. Now the only real treatment you can safely use at home would be to warm compress this area if she will allow you to. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required). And this should reduce swelling due to either cause.Otherwise, if this is very swollen or she is very sore, we'd want to have her local vet dispense dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Onsior, Previcox, Rimadyl, etc). These will reduce inflammation further and help keep her comfortable. Please note that we'd not want to use OTC human medication options since more are dangerous for dogs and Aspirin cannot be used with trauma (since it thins the blood and could worsen any bleeding under the skin). So, those would be out real focus here and the Benadryl won't be of much benefit for your lass.Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?