Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

She has a if bump under her right eye. Her pupils look

Customer Question

She has a if bump under her right eye. Her pupils look bluish and she is afraid to jump off the bed and go down the steps.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Luna. 7-8 yrs chihuahua
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Luna?
Customer: She doesn't have a very good appetite.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Luna's situation. A bump below an eye in a dog has me pretty darn suspicious for a situation called a tooth root abscess with the upper 4th premolar (carnassial tooth). Basically the root can get an infection with it and then this causes a swelling below the eye that forms an abscess. It a lot of times will open / drain and have some not so pleasant drainage. Could the bump be from a bite of an insect? Some trauma? Some other growth? These are also possible, but at my ER, pretty much these cases typically are tooth root abscesses. The best thing I can recommend is to get into your vet so they can check her over. If it is the tooth root abscess, they will recommend a dental and tooth extraction to correct the situation.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is this a pricey visit??

The initial visit to your vet shouldn't be pricey. They can check her over and give you their feelings on the situation. They can then start her up on antibiotics if it is the tooth root abscess and then give you estimates for fixing it surgically. Honestly, cost varies so much by location and clinic that I can't know what it would be specifically. Here is just one link on the tooth root abscess. If you google it, you can find numerous pictures of dogs with them.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/tooth-root-abscess-in-dogs/4740

Hi Val Sherman,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I put frankensence oil on it and shrunk it down a bunch. Took her to the vet and the verified the abscess and recommended I schedule a cleaning.

I'm glad to hear that Luna has her dental scheduled. I hope all goes well with it. Sometimes these can go down as they have some drainage of the pocket into the oral cavity or to the outside. Giver her a good ear scratching for me!