Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.

My pom 7fs has been very lethargic since last night 2r4

Customer Question

my pom 7fs has been very lethargic since last night 2r4 hours. I started her on prophylactic rimadyl a week ago. could that have caught up with her? she just lies around and sleeps, will eat, pee and poop normally. should I take her to emergency? vet tomorrow?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my pom 7 yrs has been lethargic for 24 hours.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question. So, Rimadyl can cause quite a bit of intestinal irritation, but the fact that she is eating makes that a little less likely. She probably needs a good exam and some blood work/xrays to figure out what it going on. But as to whether or not to take her to an emergency vet tonight.... if she is eating and going to the bathroom normally then there are a few other things I would look at to determine if this is urgent. Are her gums a nice pink color... if she seems pale or if her abdomen is distended or uncomfortable then she should go to an emergency vet. If she is just progressively more lethargic or sleepy to the point that she doesn't get up and come when you call her or if you are just very worried then I would consider an emergency vet. If all these things look okay then it can probably wait until tomorrow. I would have a veterinarian look at her tomorrow though.I hope that helps, but if you have more questions let me know. If not, please rate my answer.