Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

Can i give my dog benadril? she has hives on her head.

Customer Question

can i give my dog benadril? she has hives on her head.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear that your Stella Blue has these hives. Yes you can administer benadryl at 1 mg/ pound every 6-8 hours overnight to relieve the hives in addition to an oatmeal-based dog shampoo if you have one to the affected area x 10 minutes before rinse to provide reliefThe benadryl will likely cause sedation but hopefully will relieve her of the hives. If they are not subsiding then a visit to your veterinarian in the morning to administer a steroid injection maybe warranted. In addition, please monitor for progression of hives that are affecting her ability to breath or swelling of the throat, gums staying nice and pinkPlease let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope she is feeling better soon. I am online another 15 minutes to assist you both If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!