Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My dogs one ear is always itchy inside it. I have treated it

Customer Question

my dogs one ear is always itchy inside it. I have treated it for mites and fleas to no avail. it does get dried blood like it's bites. the local pet store said it's the food but I use iaams
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear your Cougar is having issues with her ear!I can give you some basic guidelines but if there is no change or they worsen then please consult your veterinarian to begin stronger treatment such as topical antibiotics/ steroids and possibly even oral ones as well...- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch and discomfort of an infection/ inflammatory response. May sedate mildly- 75/25 Water to white vinegar solution with cotton balls to wipe the ears out every 1-2 days (no q tips!) and remove any debris and infection- Take a moist towel and put it in the freezer and apply to the ear or side of the face for relief of discomfort- Adult dogs very rarely get ear mites and more commonly have allergies (seasonal or food like the pet store mentioned) that cause the changes with the ears. Especially in floppy eared dogs that trap in moisture and exacerbate an infection. -Food allergy is very specific and surprisingly most food allergies are to the protein in diets not the grains so using a prescription food that is specifically for this purpose, which is where the proteins are broken down beyond the point where the body recognizes the protein as beef, chicken, fish and monitor for improvement in signs. These foods include: royal canin h/p (hydrolyzed protein), hill's z/d ultra. During the food trial he cannot have anything besides these diets and this can be a two week trial. So no treats nor other foods. This is the best way to rule out food allergies- Please no over the counter ointments or salves which can put the tympanic membrane or inner ear at riskI hope this makes sense and helps guide the treatment for your Boxer. If this is a moderate infection unfortunately it will require prescription topical medication to treat and hopefully allow this inflammation to resolve swiftly...Please let me know how else I can assist you both today!If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today. I am online another hour tonight If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cougar. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman