Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.

Pearl, my dog is pregnant and due today JA: I'm sorry to

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, my dog is pregnant and due today
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: She has had a green/black discharge at 5 pm with contractions but now she is sleeping and everything seems to have stopped (it's now 11.30 pm) she is a miniature dachshund 7 years old please help me as I don't know what to do.. thank you
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question. It is not unusual for a dog to have contractions and then rest and then restart contractions a rest. However, the green/black discharge you describe worries me. When a puppies placenta detaches from the uterine wall a dark green/black material is produced. That is what you likely saw. Once the placenta detaches then the puppy needs to be born and breathing air within about 20-30 minutes. If not, because the placenta is not completely attached any more, the puppy will not get enough oxygen and often will die. It sounds like it has been hours since you saw this discharge. That means at least 1 puppies may be dead. Sometimes the other puppies are fine, but it is a definite sign that something is wrong. I would strongly recommend that you take her to a veterinarian as soon as possible. They can take and X-ray and see if the puppies are too big and maybe that is why she did not have one with her previous contractions. They can also ultrasound them to see if they have normal heart rates. And they can do a c-section if it does't look like she is going to be able to have them on her own.I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know. If not please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How long are they likely to rest for? She keeps getting up and licking herself and she is not in distress. Will the other puppies be ok? We had an xray done last week and everything was perfect. Is there anything I can do to help her as I live in a small village and cannot get to a vet until tomorrow morning. Thanks for your help!
They can rest for 2-4 hours as long as they are comfortable and not in distress. IF she is getting up and licking herself there is likely a puppy at least partially in the pelvic canal.... they can feel it there, that is why they keep licking. There is not a lot you can do for her other than try to get her to drink so she doesn't get dehydrated during labor. You can also offer her some cottage cheese if you have it... the extra calcium during labor can be helpful in strengthening contractions. If she starts having contractions again and doesn't produce a puppy or if she is distressed and painful and not producing a puppy then you really need to find an emergency vet. I'm concerned that she may have lost a puppy in there, but it doesn't sound like she is in any danger herself at this point. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will it be the dead puppy that would come out first? I'm sorry I have never done this before and I am scared.
Usually, but not always. The green just tells you that one of the puppies placenta detached , usually it is the closest to being delivered. And it is possible that if it only partially detached the puppy could live, but after several hours I would not be hopeful.
Focus on mom.... monitor her level of comfort, how tired she is, and her gum color(she should be pink, if her gums are pale that is a sign that she is having trouble) Find a phone book and a plan for if she is in distress.... is there a vet that you could drive to if you needed?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not for another 8 hours as they have no emergency service here I am in a tiny village in spain. I will of course take her as soon as they open if needs be. Her gums are pink
I think she just had a contraction and lucked herself but now she is curled up and resting again!! How long do you think it should be before I see some change? Thank you so much for helping me!
She really should be starting to have contractions again now... I usually don't see them resting for much more than 4 hours, but each dog is different. I'm glad she seems comfortable. It sounds like all you can do is watch... but if you have cottage cheese or even some Tums. The calcium can help.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much! I have just given her the Spanish equI've lent to tum tums :)
Best wishes!