Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My dogs eyes are red and there is a discharge coming out of

Customer Question

My dogs eyes are red and there is a discharge coming out of them. Is there something I can do to relieve it until we get to the vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! I can give you some basic guidelines for today but if this persists please consider a veterinary exam. Especially if you are able to view the cornea and it is hazy/ blue or the eye seems swollen. - Saline flush for contact lenses every 8-12 hours to flush the eye. Not solution but flush- No rubbing! If there is no corneal ulceration this can create one but if there is one it can definitely exacerbate the tear and increase risk to the eye- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound to help relieve the itch and allow your pet to rest more comfortably - A moist towel in the freezer for 30 minutes then applied can help numb and provide relief on an as needed basis If flushing has not improved the eye then I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure there is not a corneal ulcer that requires medical therapy or another condition that is causing the eye to be so red. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, I hope my suggestions have provided Chewie some relief Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 30 minutes to assist you If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!