Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have a golden mix puppy of undetermined age because of bad

Customer Question

I have a golden mix puppy of undetermined age because of bad breeder not being able to keep the litter birth dates straight, but have noticed some discoloration around the skin of her sex organs I am wondering how soon she may have her heat cycle?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. This is an interesting question you've asked about Sassy and one to which there isn't a specific answer for all dogs, unfortunately, since there's a great deal of variability between individuals and different breeds. Female dogs can come into heat as early as 6 months of age but it's not common. The smaller breeds tend to have their first cycle around 8-9 months of age while the larger breeds might not come into heat until after they're a year of age. The medium sized ones fall somewhere in the middle. Typically, most females in heat will develop a discharge first (usually drops of blood are seen on the floor) with gradual swelling of the vulva during the following 7-10 days. The second half of the cycle also tends to last about 7-10 days with the discharge still present or disappearing altogether (again, no two dogs are alike). I hope this helps. Deb