Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.

My dog had 2 spine surgeries. A few months ago He had set

Customer Question

My dog had 2 spine surgeries. A few months ago He had set back. Trmadol and Metacam were admintisered and pet rest. Even though he did not present paint he was put on rest for 2 weeks. This morning he presented same, panting symptoms. Seemed thighs mid body and when I felt up and dow his spine no pain printed. He did feel tight mid body again. I gave him a tramadol , should I give him some metacam as well. I have both left over.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: George. He is a 16 lb Daschle.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about George?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: He is resting now that I admisterested tramadol.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 5 months ago.
That dose sound concerning for another disk. I would definitely give both the metacam and the tramadol and strict rest again. Does he have any symptoms beyond the pain? Any weakness or incoordination? I'm sure that you know from your previous experiences that surgery is more successful if done early. If there are any symptoms beyond just pain then I would consider taking him into a veterinarian. A third spine surgery may be in his future.I hope that helps, but if you have more questions let me know.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He was shivering and wanting to cuddle. It was the shivering and panting that made me understand this is exactly what happened after the last setback. I will administer metacam and we will rest him for 5 days.....
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Anymore advice. He seems to walk ok....took ramp up to sofa.
The most critical thing for these guys is rest... the less they move the better. Cage rest and carry them out to the bathroom and back in.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Stacy