Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog was bragging her bottom and going in circles on her

Customer Question

My dog was bragging her bottom and going in circles on her bottom so I thought she had worms and I gave her worm med. . I saw no signs of worms. She kept doing this for about 2 weeks. I gave her the worm med. again but she she still bid this behavior. Then I noticed that she was licking her "private area" a lot and it was was a little red. After a few days it became redder. I don't know if she irritated it by rubbing on the carpet or something else may be wrong ? I fell weird asking this, but can a dog get a yeast infection like a woman does ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. First, in regards ***** ***** question, dogs can get yeast infections just like people. We can see vaginal ones but we can even see yeast cause infections in the ears or on the skin. Still, given your lass's signs this sounds like she is having trouble with her anal glands. Often dogs with full glands that they cannot express due to impaction, inflammation or infection will drag their bottoms on the ground trying to manually express them. And if they cannot do so or this isn't addressed for them, we can see skin irritation or even secondary vulval inflammation that could lead them to overgrooming this area. As well, we can also see the gland rupture leading to a wound next to the rectum if it ruptures through the skin or blood in the stool if it ruptures inwards.With this all in mind, we'd want to have your lass either seen by your vet or local groomer. Both will be able to express the glands and get her more comfortable. Of course, if either expresses pus like material (instead of brown gland material) we'd need her vet to start antibiotics +/- dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Onsior, Previcox, etc). Finally, if she is prone to this, I'd note that it can help to add fiber to their diet (ie canned pumpkin, all bran, etc) as these can firm the stool and help them express the gland naturally. So, that may not be enough just now (though you can certainly try it) but will help avoid recurrence of anal gland issues for your wee one. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )