Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Dog has swollen face

Customer Question

Dog has swollen face
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 10 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.Is the whole face swollen or just part of it?How long has it been swollen?Does she seem lethargic, having trouble breathing or having any vomiting?Is it possible for you to take picture and post it or attach it to your next message?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just part of her face
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not having trouble breathing and not lathargic
Thanks for the pictures. I cannot confirm without a full exam, but my thought is that she is having an allergic reaction to something. Most commonly, this is a bee sting. If that is the case, Benadryl may help. It is usually safe for dogs to take, unless there are certain heart, eye or prostate problems. 25mg per 25 pounds of body weight every 8-12 hours usually does the trick. The problem is that it may take a few hours for the swelling to go down. It will not work as fast as a Benadryl or steroid injection. If the swelling continues to get worse, she seems lethargic or having more issues with breathing or not looking better in 4-6 hours; she really needs to be to be seen by your nearest emergency vet. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, she is eating, drinking and going to the bathroom fine, she's very playful as usual
Swelling is the only concern,she's got nothing stuck in her teeth either
Good. That kind of swelling looks more like an allergic reaction. I would try to check her eye to make sure it looks normal and press around there to make sure it is not painful due to an injury, like a broken orbital bone. It most likely is an allergic reaction, though if she is acting normal otherwise. Let me know if you have further concerns. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John