Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My 8 year old labradoodle threw up this morning about 6

Customer Question

my 8 year old labradoodle threw up this morning about 6 hours ago . she is drinking water and walking. she pants and has not eaten since last night. she has had a little gas. should we give her more time before driving 1 hour to the nearest emergency vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 6 months ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Gabby.Is she still vomiting or retching?Does her abdomen appear bloated?Is she panting non-stop and unable to get comfortable?Any chance she got into something toxic?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
she is not still vomiting she does not seem bloated. shallow breaths of about 60 per minute. she gets comfortable on the couch, but we can tell she does not feel right. the only thing she could have eaten toxic would be from her last night walk in a field of overgrown grass. she went on a small walk 10 minutes ago. she did urinate and came back and drank water.
The shallow increased respirations are concerning to me. In this case it most likely indicates pain. So that is not normal with a mild upset stomach.I think it would be best to make sure there is not something else going on or she is not in the early states of "bloat." Bloat is when the stomach fills up with air. If you catch it early you can avoid surgery and the prognosis is much betterSo I think it is best you take her into the ER.The best/worst thing they will say is she has an upset stomach or too much gas.Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about Eva. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby