PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My lab (Sarah)is down to her last few days. My other dog

Customer Question

My lab (Sarah)is down to her last few days. My other dog (Kahlua) is the alpha She has all of the sudden started eating Sarah's food. Sarah has always been very submissive to Kahlua, and so now she is AFRAID to eat her addition to having lost her appetite due to the pain. How do we help Sarah "reclaim"her food? And why is Kahlua eating it?
Submitted: 5 months ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
Hi Barbara, Because Kahlua is the alpha and Sarah is not only submissive toward her but also coming upon the end of her life, Kahlua is liking taking the dominant stance here and eating her food because she can. I would not only discourage this behavior, but I would just separate the two of them so that Sarah doesn't have to risk trying to 'reclaim' her food and being attacked for doing so. Since these are the last few days before her final visit to the vet, it should be as peaceful as possible and with the least risk of additional pain/injury. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.
Checking in to see how things are going with Sarah and Kahlua.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.
Hi Barbara, checking on Sarah. How are things going?

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kahlua. How is everything going?