Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog is a 6 lb. maltese who was diagnosed with an enlarged

Customer Question

my dog is a 6 lb. maltese who was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and is presently on enalapril 2.5 with Lasix 12.5 2x daily which he will be on for the remainder of his life. Do youagree with this dose?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chazz
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chaz?
Customer: In March he had teeth pulled and was monitored. He has been doing very well since.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
Most cardiologists recommend enalapril to be dosed at 0.23 mg/lb orally twice daily. This would be equivalent to 1.38 mg (practically speaking, 1.25 mg) twice daily for Chazz. However, labeled dosage is "once daily initially with or without food; if reponse is inadequate, increase to twice daily". Furosemide (Lasix) dosage recommendations for adjunctive treatment of chronic heart failure can vary widely and are tailored for the specific patient. Dogs with mild heart failure signs may initially be controlled with 0.5 mg/lb every other day while dogs with severe heart failure may require doses as high as 3 mg/lb every 8 hours. Generally the goal is to give the lowest effective dose of furosemide and that's usually the dose that keeps the respiratory rate at less than 30 breaths per minute while asleep or at rest.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.