Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

What are good laxatives ?

Customer Question

what are good laxatives for dogs?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How much does Bebe weigh? 2- I will assume she is constipated? If so, for how long? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bebe weighs 10 lbs. she has been constipated for 4 or five days she had a tumor removed about a month ago which was maligment. she will not eat dog food so to keep her from starving i have been giving her some baked chicken, which she will eat she dosent have much energy and sleeps a lot. i know the cancer will take her from me but i dont want her to suffer. thanks
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, in order for her to have normal bowel movements it will help if you include some fiber with the chicken. So, I would feed her a bland diet of rice with chicken or ground beef. As far as stool softener this is what you can try: 1- Get her to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth. 2- Add 1-2 teaspoon of canned pumpkin to her food. Or, mix rice with the chicken. 3- As a stool softener you can give 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of Miralax every 24 hours or Mineral oil 1 to 2 teaspoon every 12 hours. You can find these over the counter in any pharmacy. 4- You can also give milk as a stool softener; normally it causes diarrhea but in cases of constipation will act as a stool softener. 5- If she does not have a bowel movement within 12 hours of doing the above I would have her checked by family veterinarian for a hands on examination. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.