Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

We have a French Bulldog puppy 17 weeks old that has Spina

Customer Question

We have a French Bulldog puppy 17 weeks old that has Spina Bifida. He has incontinence. We have been treating him with Prowin and had some success, however the last two days have been bad. We are at a cross roads. We have been reading on line about Collagen injections to help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear your puppy has Spina Bifida. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Collagen injections into the bladder, around the bladder sphincter, have been used to treat incontinence. It is very expensive, and does not last and has to be repeated. You need an experienced expert to do this procedure, not just your local veterianrian. I found that is it being done at the vet school at the U. of Minnesota. I am sorry about Frankie. Sadly, this problem tends to get worse as the puppy grows, and there is risk of an infection getting into his spinal cord as he gets older. Let me know if this answers your question and if I can help with anything else.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How expensive are the injections? What are the recommendations at this time? Right now he is on Prowin
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
I don't know the cost, my research just said "very expensive", which probably means at least $1000. You would have to contact that vet school in St Paul, MN to find out more. The recommendations are to have an MRI to see how bad the spinal bifida is, and if there is an opening into the spinal cord. If there is an opening, it should be closed to prevent the spinal cord becoming infected. Sometimes surgery can help these cases, but you need an MRI to know that. If you want to do all you can, you should consult a neurologist and have an MRI to find out if anything can be done to help. If the Proin is helping, you might increase the dose; how much does he weigh and how much is he getting?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He is 17 - 18 pounds at this point. We were given 75 mg tablets and were instructed to cut them into quarters. I guess that would make the dose 18.75 mg every 12 hours. We were told that we could go to every 8 hours if we felt the need. It seemed to be working for the past few weeks. When we would notice him dribbling, we would take him out to go (he still has the urge to pee when he goes out. Once he would pee, the dribbling would stop..When he gets up in the morning, when I would think his bladder would be the most full, he does not dribble and goes outside and pee's. However, the past two days have been horrible. He does not leak when he is sleeping in his crate.Even after relieving himself he dribbles bad
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We keep going back to the fact he has an urge to pee. Do incontinent dogs typically have an urge?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Then he is getting the maximum dose for his weight right now. Increasing the dose might make him aggressive, hyper, or raise his blood pressure. If he has urgency to urinate, he might have a bladder infection, which these dogs are prone to. I would have a urinalysis done to check for this. If he has an infection, antibiotics might help with the urgency and dribbling.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He had an infection that we treated recently, does not say that he can't have another one. If we got an MRI how can that help us? I know the cost can be $1000+. We are just trying to weigh out options on the best direction to go, and help out our little guy. My question was, not that he has an urgency to pee, but that he has an urge to pee. Just like you our I. Would an incontinent dog, have the normal urge? That is what I keep going back to.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Sorry I was offline. An MRI would tell you how severe the spina bifida is, if the spinal cord is open (if it is, he should have surgery to close it to prevent an infection in the spinal cord), if surgery might help him or not. Usually incontinence means not being aware that you need to urinate and it just runs out, no urgency. If he has an infection, the bladder might be swollen or painful, and that could contribute to urgency. However, it really depends on how much the nerves to his bladder are affected or dysfunctional what his individual symptoms would be. It is entirely possible the older and larger he gets the worse his symptoms could be.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Let me know if this was helpful, and if I can answer any more of your questions. Please let me know how he is doing.