Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a Yorkie who will be 13 yrs old next month. She

Customer Question

I have a Yorkie who will be 13 yrs old next month. She weights 6.7 lbs. She is on the following meds for enlarged heart: vetmedin, enalapril and furosemide.
She has had diarrhea since yesterday afternoon. She has thrown up once (early yesterday afternoon). She is acting fine, eating good, drinking water and playing. Should I take her to the ER vet hospital today?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. What does the diarrhea look like? Any blood?Was the vomit food, bile or saliva?Can she keep water down?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No blood in the diarrhea, although some looks like it has pieces of mucus in it. The vomit looked like bile. She doesn't appear to have any tenderness in her belly. Yes, she is keeping the water down. I tried to check her gums, but she threw a fit and I was unable to tell. I'm thinking one of two things happened. My mother lives with me, is 91 and has dementia. Since the onset of her dementia, she will sneak and give Daisy a bite of her food when I'm not looking. I have been very strict about never giving Daisy table food. I caught her giving Daisy a bite of a sausage biscuit yesterday morning. The night before Daisy has gotten into the trash can and gnawed on a piece of toilet paper.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But it's the oddest thing, because she is acting fine and eating/drinking
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** not uncommon to see dogs feel fine despite diarrhea. Its when they start getting dehydrated that they feel unwell and lethargic. And if your mum is giving bits of food (though we do need to make sure she can't give anything toxic like onions, grapes, raisins, or garlic to Daisy), then that could easily cause the diarrhea we are seeing. In any case, at this stage, we’d want to put her on a light diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. Whichever you choose, you can also add some fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran, etc) to the food to bulk up her stools quicker. As well, if she is very runny, we can also start her on pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Avoid Pepto bismol here (since it can upset dogs with stomach signs) and Imodium (since it has a narrow safety margin). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI. Overall, with her feeling otherwise well and the history of table food treats, I do suspect that is our culprit. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start the above supportive care to settle her gut. If she settles, we are happy. Though if this lingers, then we'd want a check so her vet can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-nausea medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Daisy. How is everything going?

nekovet