Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has pancreatitis and she will not eat the low fat

Customer Question

My dog has pancreatitis and she will not eat the low fat canned food or dry food. She has eaten chicken in the past, but will not eat it this time. She only eats small bits of turkey breast. She is very keen on higher fat foods, but we can't give them to her. I have tried wet food, dry food, boiled chicken, turkey breast (with a small amount of success), pasta, vegetables and rice. She won't eat anything. She is 1 week post pancreatitis and hepatitis. Can you give me any ideas on something low fat, that she will actually enjoy eating?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Poppy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Poppy?
Customer: She has pancreatitis and hepatitis and I am currently having to force feed her (putting food at back of mouth and tilting head up she she swallows it - as shown by our vet) because she only eats small bits of turkey.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here is a list of foods I have tried:
-Wet food (low fat)
-Dry food (low fat)
-Boiled chicken
-Boiled kangaroo
-Broccoli, carrots, potatoes
-Turkey breast (sliced from butchers): has had a bit of this here and there, but is not overly excitedShe really wants some of the higher fat sliced chicken we have that we got from the deli at the supermarket. She is obviously keen to eat, but I just can't find something that she likes. She is currently taking tramadol and 2 kinds of antibiotics. I am force feeding her as shown by the vet...but this can't go on forever and I just can't think of anything else that is low fat that she might really like to eat - at least until she gets her appetite back and her weight back up.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Her wet and dry food is "Hills Canine I/D Low Fat (Digestive Care)"
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now we will usually see dogs be stubborn when we won't feed them what they wish, but usually not to the extent you are describing with Poppy. Therefore, I'd be concerned that she may have a degree of underlying nausea (either from her condition or those 2 antibiotics and the Tramadol) making her even more picky and selective then she may naturally be. Therefore, I do feel it'd be worth ringing her vet about trialling her on an anti-nausea treatment (ie Metoclopramide, Cerenia, Zofran, etc) as you try to get her eating. Or you could also speak to them about using an appetite stimulant (ie Mirtazapine) to just give her a push to eat for us. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** question, it sounds like you have been thorough. Though further to what you have tried, I' advise a peek HERE for some low fat pancreas happy homemade diet options to try with her. So, I would strongly advise trying these meal options (the use low fat protein sources like low fat cottage cheese, egg, and chicken) to see if we can get her eating better but otherwise ensuring we cover that nausea angle. And if she remains stubborn, then an appetite stimulant (or even a temporary feeding tube if needs must) would be our next point of call in getting her eating properly. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the response Dr B. She has had the anti nausea tablets for the past week and we have just taken her off them. She has had Cerenia. The vet wants to see how she goes without them for the next few days.Judging from that link, I should try to feed her some egg whites and some cottage cheese, since I have tried chicken/rice/potato already. Am I supposed to cook these egg whites or give them to her raw?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The vet is going to ring back on Tuesday to see how she is going (and I can discuss whether we put her back on the anti nausea), but I just want to see if I can figure out what she might like in the meantime.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello again,I am glad to hear that they have covered that angle, since nausea is so often present with both condition and often leads to oddly fussy appetites with our dogs eve if they aren't vomiting. Still, if the response to Cerenia wasn't dramatic, then I'd suggest using Zofran +/- the appetite stimulant as our next step here. Otherwise, I would try the egg whites (cooked) or cottage cheese based ones to see if we can tempt her to eat properly for us. :)Best wishes,Dr. B.