Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

We recently rescued a different g. This dog had diarrhea

Customer Question

We recently rescued a different g. This dog had diarrhea issues. I had to take this dog back the rescue. Our dog that we had now has diarrhea. What can I do to treat this until Monday to take him to the vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.I am sorry to hear that your dog has diarrhea after being exposed to a rescue dog with diarrhea.Diarrhea can be due to stress, a change in diet, eating things they should not (especially if they go out unsupervised or are fed lots of table scraps), parasites, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy.In cases where multiple dogs are affected a viral or bacterial infection, parasites or eating something they should not or spoiled food seems most likely.If he still feels well otherwise though we can try some things at home to help with diarrhea.I would not feed any food for 12-24 hours. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility.Small amounts of water given frequently are fine as he needs fluids after all that he has lost with diarrhea. You can give pedialyte or clear broth to replace electrolytes too. Today even with the fast you can start Kao-pectate (kaolin and pectin formulation) at 1/2ml per pound or 1/2 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 8-12 hours. You can use it for a few days until stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.If he has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea with no improvement after being on kao pectate for 24 to 48 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then that pup really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible.Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go. But if he remains otherwise well after the food fast start a bland diet of 2/3 boiled white skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 1/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) of canned pumpkin to each meal if you are seeing mucous or blood in the stool as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.You can also add probiotics to the bland diet to replace the good bacteria lost with diarrhea. Good brand name products include Fortiflora, Proviable, or Benebac. They can be found online or at pet stores.Once he feels better (no diarrhea for 48 hours) start mixing in regular food very slowly, less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert him back.Ideally you should have his veterinarian check at least a couple fresh stool samples too for parasites as parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently, so they won't be passed with every stool, and could be part of the trouble. With multiple affected dogs I would be surprised if parasites aren't at least part of the trouble. They may be picked up on the second sample or third test if the first is negative.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bozo. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****