Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog came inside and vomited a ton of grass and partially

Customer Question

My dog came inside and vomited a ton of grass and partially digested dog food. Now she is frantically eating grass, rubbing her nose, shaking, panting, coughing and has hick up like convusions. It seems to get better for a few and then get worse. Should we be worried?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello Shannon, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again Shannon, " Should we be worried? " : Well in a dog of this age group the chances are that what you are seeing is a tummy upset due to something she has eaten, while this is very uncomfortable for your dog the majority of such cases are not serious. However this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check her over without delay. That said I can tell you the following ...The first thing to do is to get her inside so she cannot eat any more grass and then there are some things you can try. There are a number of home remedies for vomiting and stomach upsets in the dog which some owners try before getting a vet involved, these can often work well for uncomplicated cases where a dog is otherwise quite bright and happy, where for example a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, or had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug of some kind. Here are some examples.1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.Of course if either of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me furtherRegards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Shannon,I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her vomiting ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?