Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

Re Feamle Jack Russel Whippet Cross (Jipert?) She is 2 years

Customer Question

Re Feamle Jack Russel Whippet Cross (Jipert?)
She is 2 years old.
Last night I fed my daughters dog (Milk) who I am dog sitting some left over apple pie.
In the apple pie was walnuts, pecans, and lemon rind.
This morning she was groaning and very lethargic. Not interested in food or water.
She has just gone outside and urinated and passed normal looking stool. She is showing a little interest in food.
Where to , what to do from here.
Your advice would be most appreciated.
thanks Gary
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a vet tech for 30+ years. I would like to assist you.What you gave the dog is not toxic, however can cause horrible gastrointestinal upset and pain.I suggest you fast the dog for 12 hours. Then when done start a bland diet on one part skinless boiled chicken breast to 3 parts white rice. This is a bland diet and will allow the stomach to rest. Make sure the dog is drinking so he does not dehydrate. If the dog starts responding to the bland diet you can gradually wean back onto the normal diet. If he does not respond the a Vet visit will be needed. Please monitor for Diarrhea, Blood in the stool and vomiting. If any of those ocur then a Vet visit will be needed or if the pain continues.Joan