Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Yellow lab with recurrent yellow nasal drainage. Has been on

Customer Question

Yellow lab with recurrent yellow nasal drainage. Has been on keflex 1000mg three times a day x 15 days and it is still bad
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Labrador. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Is the discharge from just one nostril, or from both? Have any tests been done, such as looking at this discharge under a microscope to find out what is it and what may be causing it? Or culturing the discharge? If this were my own dog, looking at the discharge microscopically is where I would start. If the discharge is only one side, I would take Xrays or try to look into the sinuses to see if there a foreign body or a growth in that side of the nose. Let me know what other questions you have.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No yet and it from both side
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not yet on testing
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
If 2 weeks of antibiotics is not helping, this is either not a bacterial infection, or Keflex is not right antibiotic. If he were mine, I would start by looking at the discharge microscopically. If bacteria are seen, then I would consider a culture after the Keflex is done, to see what bacteria are present, and what the best antibiotic for that particular type of bacteria would be.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
Was this helpful? Can I help with or answer anything else?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
How is your Labrador doing?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?