Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My pom wont eat he lost weight I took him to the vet he gave

Customer Question

my pom wont eat he lost weight I took him to the vet he gave me some pills to help him eat but i cant get the pill in his mouth, i tried all i could think of
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: casey 10 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Casey?
Customer: he is a anxiety told the vet he gave him some drops to put in his water but he had anxiety for years
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question. I have found that dogs that are not eating are very, very difficult to get to take oral medications and I really try to find injectable alternatives. Can you tell me what your vet prescribed?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I don't have it on me I'm not home at the time. it's a pale pink colour and its cut into quarters
Hum, I'm not sure what that is. It almost sounds like prednisone, but it could be anything. Depending on what it is you may be able to ask your veterinarian to give him an injection instead. The other option is to crust the tablet and mix it with some karo syrup. The syrup is very sweet so it can mask the medicine taste. You can add a little water to make it thinner and try to squirt it in the back of his mouth. He will likely spit some out, but it's better than nothing. If you find out what the medication is I can tell you if there is an injectable available.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you