Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My golden retriever ate a bunch of espoma hollytone product

Customer Question

My golden retriever ate a bunch of espoma hollytone product yesterday. I was sprinkling it around my hydrangeas and I didn't see my dog eating it until I walked away. Last night she had diarrhea....bad....very black and loose. Should I take her to the emergency vet? She seems fine and is walking and acting normally
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your golden retriever will be able to digest that. What is the golden retriever's name and age?
Customer: bella, age 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: Not sure. I don't know why she ate it in the first place. Does it have some kind of smell?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. What were the listed ingredients in this product? Was the product dark in color/black?How much do you think she has had?Are her gums pink or pale/white?If you press on her belly, any tenderness, pain or discomfort?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,I have not heard back from you but wanted to leave my thoughts about Bella.Now black stool is something we need to approach with care. This is because the fertilizer product could be discolouring her feces, but this can also be a sign of an upper GI or stomach bleed. So, this is why her gum color is so important here. And if they are pale/white, then a bleed would be a worry and we need her seen by her local vet urgently.Otherwise, if those gums are pink and therefore a gut bleed is less likely, we can start some supportive care. To start, I would suggest starting her on a light diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. Whichever you choose, you can add canned pumpkin, all bran, or a 0.5tsp of unflavored Metamucil to help bulk up her stools sooner. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet. Otherwise, we can also consider starting an OTC probiotics (ie Fortiflora) +/- pet safe anti-diarrheal (ie Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). Otherwise, you could use a combination product of these (ie Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber) which are available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon. All will slow diarrhea and those probiotics can help support to the delicate good GI bacteria to reduce diarrhea quicker. Overall, we do need to tread with care here if her stools are black. So, if she is pale, we'd want her seen now. And if the gums are normal, then we can try to counter that diarrhea as we monitor her. Of course, any paling of her gums over time, continued black stools, or if she doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, check bloods +/- perform an ultrasound to rule out a bleed from this. As well, they can start her on further gastroprotectants and symptomatic care to settle this for her. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet