Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I would like to get a second opinion on symptoms from 10

Customer Question

I would like to get a second opinion on symptoms from 10 week old puppy. Is this possible?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
At 4:30 am on May 19, my ten week old bulldog puppy began to scream. I lifted her out of her crate and she screamed with every touch. I placed her on the floor, she favored her left leg, and collapsed. Laid her down on her side where she preceded to poop without moving. After, she was quiet and still. At 7:00am, I called the vet. I told them the puppy appeared shocks to me with shaking, pale gums, and drool.
At the clinic, temp was 104.5, screaming pain in left front leg upon palpating. X-rays didn't reveal any abnormalities to leg. She was given subQ fluids, anti-inflammatory injection, and sent home with metacam. Puppy was put in quiet room, she did not move for 9 hours unless I moved her. She got up on her feet a few times through that night, but couldn't seem to have the ability to lift her head. Her temp around 9:00pm was 104.1. I used ice on rectum and chilled cloth around neck. Temp came down only to 103.8. Stool turned into bright yellow mucus.
7:00am (5/20) I called vet as puppy was very listless, labored breathing, fever 103.4, and blood coming from her nose. At vets officer IV fluids, antibiotics, potassium was started. WBC wnl, RBC slightly low, inflammation wnl, slightly low protein, slightly low potassium, chest X-ray, neg. coccidiosis, neg parvovirus, sent out test for distemper.
She had several seizures and was presenting other neurological abnormalities including head pressing. She is no longer presenting pain in left front leg.
Live in high desert where fleas, ticks, heart worm are extremely uncommon. No plants inside, outside x-pen is on pavers, no access to yard. Litter mates appear normal as well. Poison is very unlikely.
Any ideas?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.
Hello,I am sorry to hear you are worried about your puppy. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. It would help to see the blood test report itself, and to know if there are neurologic abnormalities in addition to the head pressing and seizures. Fever, and neurologic signs make me think of tick and flea born disease. I live in the high desert myself and although these are rare, I do see them, including a dog just last week. Another thing to check for in a puppy with neurologic symptoms and fever is meningitis. The best thing would be to consult with a neurologist, and have a spinal tap done to check for meningitis. If that is not practical, I would start a combination of medications recommended by my local neurologist for when you can't go for a spinal tap and neuro consult: Steroids, doxycycline, and clindamycin. Let me know what else I can answer and how she is doing.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The vet called this morning. Puppy is miraculously 75% better. She is up and eating. One of her eyes however is fixed pin point and non-reactive to light. I will bring her home in a couple of hours. I will ask for a copy of her labs.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.
That is wonderful news that she is improving. Let me know how she continues to do, and what else I can answer or help with.