Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dachshund ate all of the packaging that a steak comes in,

Customer Question

My dachshund ate all of the packaging that a steak comes in, except for the foam tray! HELP! It happened last night and I'm just realizing it!!!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dachshund will be able to digest that. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: Charlie, 7. He weighs nine #s
JA: How old is Charlie?
Customer: He's 7.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?
Customer: No, he's very healthy & active.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long ago did he eat this?Was it just the plastic wrapper? Did it eat it whole or tear it into bits?Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I believe He ate it about 10:00 last night. He does have tenderness & tensing in his belly. I think his gums are sort of pale & they are moist, ( but he could have just had some water while I was feeding my lab.)
He hasn't been nauseous or had any signs of wrenching.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All of the packaging was gone, except for the foam tray.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Oh dear,Now I am very concerned to hear that he has belly tenderness and paling gums. Both these signs together would raise concerns of a blockage in his gut from the packaging. Therefore, while we could try him on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) with added fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and GI lubricants (ie cat hairball treatment Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) to help him pass this; I am concerned that it is already stuck. Therefore, I have to say that if he were my patient, I'd want to see him without delay to determine if we have an obstruction that needs to removal or if we can use GI lubricants/enemas to get this out safely and avoid any harm. Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or viahttp://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193 Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet