Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 24lb blue femal Frenchie! She is 9 months old. We

Customer Question

Hi I have a 24lb blue femal Frenchie! She is 9 months old. We had a righ time with her until at least 6 months battling ghiardia. We could not clear it up & she was constantly going diahrea even when we thought it was under control so our pediatrician wanted us to get a stsndard puppy food. We started her on Iams. Our other Frenchie is on life's abundance. He is 2 years old. My question is the ghiardia is completely gone & her stomach seems to be perfect now. No more diahrea. I'm feeding 2 1/4 scoops in the am & same in the pm. Is this too much??? She's still a runt but definitely getting stalky & I don't want her getting fat. Do u think it's safe now to try our a better food since the ghiardia is gone & if so what one?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. If your vet has retested a stool sample since her last treatment and it has negative, then we'd assume the Giardia has been cleared. And in that case, you can certainly slowly wean her onto the diet of your choice. In regards ***** ***** much to feed, that will be based on the calories per gram of the food, so you will want to refer to the label on the diet you offer and feed for her ideal weight. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
her ghiardia is completely gone. I read the back of the bag & it says about 1 1/4 cup of food per day! Is it a good idea to cook her chicken breast or other human grade food to keep he's looking lean & healthy?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,Is that the diet you want to feed that is 1-1/4c per day? If so, what is the listed kcal/100g of the food and your dog's ideal weight?Do you mean offering chicken instead of a balanced commercial diet or as well?