Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian/Owner at Renewed Strength Veterinary Services, LLC
94403761

My 1 yr. old lab ingested a couple spoonfuls of bar & chain

Customer Question

My 1 yr. old lab ingested a couple spoonfuls of bar & chain oil (chainsaw oil) about 1 hour ago. There are no signs that she is feeling ill at this time. What is your opinion on steps to take or things to watch for.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'll do all I can to help. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: No not really.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 11 years and hope that I can answer your questions completely today. Am I understanding that you would like to know what needs to be done at this time for Bella, as well as what the risks are with ingestion of the chainsaw oil?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
First of all, do not give anything to Bella to make her vomit. Oils and other hydrocarbons can cause severe lung damage as they are easily aspirated. I recommend taking Bella to an emergency clinic where she can be given the proper medication to prevent vomiting and to protect her lungs. They may need to do some blood work and radiographs (x-rays) to evaluate damage. Unfortunately, even small amounts of chemicals can be detrimental to a dog's health. That being said, with appropriate care early, much of the complications can be avoided. I generally recommend calling the telephone number on the packaging for more specific information, this is provided by the company free of charge.
Hello again, Michelle. I was just wondering how Bella is doing today and if you have any additional questions for me. If not, and you are satisfied with my answer, please rate me so that I may continue providing and improving services for others.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Melanie Goble