Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog ate my brothers special brownie and now he's acting

Customer Question

My dog ate my brothers special brownie and now he's acting weird
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He's 1 and rock
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rockie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rockier?
Customer: No he's just acting weird he is wobbly and he doesn't want to walk
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. Marijuana toxicity can be severe in dogs. If treated promptly, it is rarely fatal. Decontamination is the first step. That would include inducing vomiting or gastric lavage. If already showing signs of neurologic complications, which he is, then inducing vomiting can be detrimental because they can easily aspirate the vomit. In Rock's case, he needs to have his stomach pumped by the vet and activated charcoal to help bind the toxins. In addition, though, these guys need hospitalization and supportive care with intravenous fluids, heating support (they tend to get hypothermic) and medications to control blood pressure, bradycardia (slow heart rate) and breathing support with a respirator if severe enough. I would get him into your vet immediately. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John