Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I have a English bulldog. He is 1 1/2 years old. His chin is

Customer Question

I have a English bulldog. He is 1 1/2 years old. His chin is red and dry. What can I use on this to make this heal?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear about your Fred's red, dry chin.Since he is a young dog and the lesions appear limited to his chin this may be chin acne. Surprisingly enough although canine acne looks terrible dogs don't seem to be bothered much by it. The acne can lead to scars though if it is severe.Do his lesions look like the pup in the link below? If so you can try a shampoo called Oxydex to clean the area well once to twice daily. See this link for an example: Don't allow him to lick it as it does contain peroxide which could irritate his stomach and lead to vomiting.Another option is a human acne product called phisohex. You can clean the affected areas once or twice daily, again being careful to let it sit for a few minutes to allow it to flush out the follicles and not allowing him to lick as it also will upset his stomach.You should clean his chin after eating and dry it several times a day, especially since he is a breed that drools frequently. Moisture from drooling makes acne worse.Or you can use a wipe to clean his chin. See this link for examples: his acne isn't clearing it may be deep enough that he needs oral antibiotics, or treatment for a fungal infection. Warm, moist raw skin is perfect for secondary infections to take hold. Or it may be complicated by a demodex mite infestation. These mites aren't contagious and are present in all dogs but in some dogs their immune system is such that the mites are allowed to proliferate in high numbers. They are more commonly a problem in young dogs.Your veterinarian can swab the area to look for bacteria or yeast, scrape the area or biopsy a lesion to look for mites if he isn't improving with topical treatment. Then he can be placed on the appropriate oral antibiotics, antifungal, or mite treatment if the topical treatments I mentioned don't work.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Fred. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful I would appreciate an update on your pet, thank you, ***** *****