How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16231
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

She ate some grapes and raisins JA: I'm sorry to hear that.

Customer Question

she ate some grapes and raisins
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Judith, she is 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Judith?
Customer: she weighs about 50 lbs and ate about 20 regular sized grapes and a half handful of raisins, she doesn't seem lethargic...I was at the ER when she ate them so I'm not sure exactly how long ago it was
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Do you have any idea of how many hours ago? Less than 2? More than 8 hours?How is she just now?Any increased thirst or urination?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,I have not heard back from you but given the seriousness of this situation, I do want to leave my thoughts for you.As I am sure you can appreciate, grapes are dangerous for dogs, as they can cause kidney damage and failure. And as the actual toxin has not been isolated and appears to vary between grapes, we cannot predict if this amount will cause her harm or not. Therefore, if you think it has been less that 2 hours, then you can induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster -- just we want to give it orally and get it into her. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get her to walk about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing the ER vet so that the vet can administer apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) to just get this out of her stomach and avoid any adverse issues As well or alternatively (after 2 hours), you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much she absorbs and reduce the intoxication risk here. Finally, since this toxin does target the kidneys, we will need to monitor her thirst and urination. If these increase over the next week, then we'd be concerned there has been damage. Therefore, with that being a risk, you may even want to consider having her into her vet's for IV fluids to flush this out just now +/- monitoring her blood or urine to make sure there is no hint of kidney damage. In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/. Overall, while grapes and raisins are safe for us, they are very dangerous for our dogs. So, if she had them this long ago, we can still try to induce vomiting but will want to follow up with activated charcoal +/- IV fluids to limit any risk for her here. Please take care, Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
How is everything going with your wee one?Dr. B.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, Sorry I was a bit frantic and ended up just calling her vet. lol I induced vomitting with hydrogen peroxide and she is good as gold. Very thankfully. Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
No worries at all,I completely understand and am so glad to hear that she is ok. :) When I hadn't heard back from you, I did just post since it was such a serious situation for Judith. But again that is great news to hear that she brought them up and that all is well.Take care,Dr. B.