Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a golden retriever puppy that is literally biting off

Customer Question

I have a golden retriever puppy that is literally biting off her hair. I adopted an abused horse that has just been diagnosed with rain rot. Can this spread to my dog? What treatment can I use?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Gracie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gracie?
Customer: She has been healthy until now. She is current on shots, worming, flea and tick treatments and heart worm.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about Gracie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. How old is she? This is probably not rain rot; it is not usually contagious to dogs and cats. To treat Gracie, I would start with a good exam, and check for fleas, mites (these are microscopic and can't be seen by the naked eye) or ringworm. Once we know what the cause of her biting and chewing is, we will know the best treatment. There is no one treatment that will treat all these conditions. If you are worried about this being a fungal infection from your horse, the best treatment is prescription medication. You could try Lime Sulfur dips but is is very smelly and messy, and won't help if this is due to something else. It will help to know her age, what parts of her body she is chewing most, and pictures would be helpful as well. Let me know if this is helpful and what else I can answer.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
How is Grace doing? Let me know if my answer was helpful and if you have more questions.