Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My Cane Corso swallowed a superball 2 days ago and we took

Customer Question

My Cane Corso swallowed a superball 2 days ago and we took her to the vet because she is lethargic eating grass and puking. She also has not gone poop and she's very lethargic and laying around. They put water under her skin and said to come home and there was no x-ray
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She's very healthy and weighs 110 pounds and she'll be 2 in July
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.I have to say that I am quite concerned about your lass.If she swallowed a ball, hasn't responded to their medical treatment, and isn't passing stool or the ball; then this makes a blockage in the intestines (which are small diameter) a real concern. Therefore, if she were my patient, I'd certainly be getting an xray just now to see if that ball is causing trouble. If it was, we'd then need to think about enemas (if it was in the lower bowel) or even surgery. So, we really need to tread with care. Otherwise, you could try to soothe her nausea so you can attempt to push the ball through. To start, you can ring her vet for oral anti-nausea treatment or can try an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.If she settles, you can put her onto small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will further encourage any material to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on her. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on her stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require her to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray. Overall, her lack of treatment response and the knowledge she did eat this ball raise serious worries of a blockage. Therefore, an xray at this point would be the best next step. Otherwise, we can try so soothe her stomach and get things moving; but will need to tread with care if we don't get this vomiting and lack of stool under control. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.Best wishes for you both,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )