Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian/Owner at Renewed Strength Veterinary Services, LLC
94403761

We have a three-year-old Havanese that is shaking, lethargic

Customer Question

Hi we have a three-year-old Havanese that is shaking, lethargic and rapid breathing she will not lie down and it's just sitting here looking really spaced out
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am Dr. Melanie. How is your dog doing right now? Is she spayed? Please check her gums (lift her lip gently and note the color of the mucous membranes above her teeth). If the color is white, grey, purple, blue, or brick red, then she needs to get to an emergency veterinarian immediately. Press very gently to make the gums go white and count the number of seconds before it turns back to pink. If it takes more than 3-4 seconds, then she needs to get to the emergency veterinarian. There are many things that could be going on, ranging from being very gassy (which is painful) to a severe issue such as bloat, pyometra (if she is not spayed), Addison's disease, or a foreign body, to name just a few. Please let me know if you have any other questions, but if she is getting worse, not better, then seeking emergency care is very important.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is spayed. We were thinking perhaps poison? She kept going under a bench at a gym today. And their seemed to be a rapid onset of symptoms after that. I took her on a walk right after that and I always give her treats after the walk . She would not eat them and went and laid down.
What is her gum color and time for return to color?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pink gums I can't seem to accomplish time to return
Ok, not a problem. It does return to pink when you remove your finger though, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. That is good. How is she behaving now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very strange rapid heartbeat won't drink water sort of drunken gaze but finally lying down. She would only sit before
Does her abdomen or chest appear more distended than normal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.
That is good. I am worried about her rapid heartbeat though. Is it possible for you to feel her femoral pulse (on the inside of her back leg)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Having a tough time with her pulse as she is still shivering
That is alright, it can be difficult. If you put your hand over her heart, how many beats do you feel in 60 seconds?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is breathing so fast it is hard to tell but I think 106
Ok. I am about to board a plane, so I have to log off. That being said, if at all possible, I would recommend that you take her to an emergency clinic to be seen. I am concerned that there is something going on internally. I would recommend that she have some blood work and a FAST ultrasound performed to look for fluid in her chest and abdomen. At the very least, she likely needs IV fluids and pain medication. Have you given her any medications or treatments at home?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No medication or treatments
Good, many human medications can be toxic, so do not give with without a veterinarian recommending them. Is it possible for you to take her to an emergency veterinary clinic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she seems to have settled and is sleeping is it better to wait until morning to see the regular vet or is emergency better in this situation
Since I don't know exactly what is going on, it is difficult to say if it is alright to wait or not. You have to use your best judgement on that. If your veterinarian does not have an ultrasound machine, then I would recommend going to the ER. I am being called to board now. But, please keep me updated. I hope all goes well for you. Do you have any other questions for me real quick?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you have a safe flight
I just got home and am wondering how she is doing. Did you get into a clinic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We Took her to the vet at 800 a central time. they gave her antiflammatories As they think she has a back problem like a herniated disk. She has just now taken an interest in food and water but is still shaking
I am happy to hear that is more interested in food and water. Was she diagnosed with radiographs (x-rays) or another manner?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No X-rays which surprised me I am still a bit Leary of the diagnosis
Did they do any diagnostic tests?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that is why I am leary about the diagnosis
I can understand that. There is a lot that can be found on physical examination. A neurologic exam is excellent for focusing on a specific location if it is a disc issue, although diagnosis is normally made via a mylogram (special x-rays with an injection of a dye into the spinal column) or MRI, although there can be an increased index of suspicion with plain radiographs.
In some cases, a course of anti-inflammatories will decrease swelling enough to provide relief, especially if surgery is not an option.
Did you go to your regular veterinary clinic or to a another clinic (general, specialty, emergency, etc.)?
Hello. I just wanted to follow up and see if you have any additional questions. If not, and you have found my answers satisfactory, please take a moment to rate me so that I may continue to provide and improve my services.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Melanie Goble