Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

12 wk gets puppy ear is crooked or horizontal. Should I be

Customer Question

12 wk gets puppy ear is crooked or horizontal. Should I be concerned
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Bolt. In a situation like this, should you be concerned? Depends on what you are hoping for him. If you were hoping he'd be a show dog winning the grand champion, then things may be an issue. If you are hoping for a great family dog that is happy and social and healthy, then this crooked ear most likely isn't a big deal at all. If he was scratching at the ear, has debris in it, or it is not smelling good - then there may be an ear infection going on that has it irritated. Your vet can do a quick ear evaluation / swab to see if there are any underlying ear issues causing this. At his age, he most likely is due for another round of his vaccines here soon. The cartilage in the ear may be weaker and it may be an ear carriage that is permanent, but it won't be a health problem - just a visual issue.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can it be taped
Some people may try to tape an ear to support it to see if the cartilage could strengthen and hold it in a more upright manner. Would it work? Would it fall? That is the unknown. Tapping of ears can be challenging and hard to do. I would have your vet check the ear over to see if there is an underlying medical reason for it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there a chance it will still go up
There is always a chance that things may allow the ear to go up. That can't be totally ruled out. Time will be the tell tale factor there.