Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

At what age should I be neutering my puppy? Does he need to

Customer Question

At what age should I be neutering my puppy? Does he need to have his rabies vaccine before he gets the surgery? He is a 4 month old 5lb yorkie/poodle/maltese mix, and I don't want to stunt his growth by neutering him too early (does that happen?). But I also don't want to wait *too* long before he becomes a true adolescent.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. As small breed puppies mature a lot quicker then the larger breeds (who are the ones that need delayed neutering), you can neuter at 6 months without worry of stunting his growth. Otherwise, most practices do want you to have them fully vaccinated (some require them to have rabies before they can be admitted to the hospital) to just ensure they aren't a risk to others in the hospital and that no other dogs are potentially a risk to them. So, those could be given now with a view to neutering in 2 months time. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )